Look at the short history of Mentor, Ohio from 1797-1825
The city of Mentor is located in the Lake county of Ohio state. According to the census that was carried out in 2010, the population of the city of Mentor is approximately 47,159. And also the city of Mentor, at many occasions, was listed as one of the best places to live in USA!
The city of Mentor first began its life when the Mentor land area was surveyed for the first time by Moses Cleveland in 1796. While in 1797, a man named Charles Parker built a cabin at Mentor, also known as mentor marsh, marking the first settlement at the to be city of Mentor. In 1798, Mentor was again inhabited by Jared Ward, Hosmer Merry, and Moses Park and also Clark, who was 16 years old brother of Charles Parker, joined him at Mentor. Also during this time of settlement the first wedding of the city was performed by Moses Park.
Events that took place at 1800- at the Mentor City:
- Moses Park was also appointed as the Justice of the Peace by the first session of the court and also James Parker was appointed as the Constable of the Painesville Township for the city of Mentor in the year of 1800 after the first settlement.
- At 1801, the first election of Mentor Marsh took place. While Ohio went on to become the seventeenth state of the USA in 1803.
- From 1806- 1807, Clark Parker, who was the first settler at the present city of Mentor. He also went on to marry Margaret Jordan, who was also the daughter of the first settler of Concord. They went on to have thirteen children who were raised at the old homestead on the ridge road, presently Mentor Avenue by the couple. The county of Geauga was formed out of the county of trumball and Clark Parker was appointed as a sheriff of the Geauga County in 1806.
- The year of 1810 saw the transformation of an abandoned old farm into a school house where Katy Smith was paid around 75 cents per week to teach the children of the then Mentor settlement.
- However Charles Parker went on to leave the Mentor settlement to help to settle Milan.
Aftermath of 1810:
- In 1815, the Mentor Township was officially formed with the portions of the Mentor of the lake and Kirtland, with a population of about 460 people. Although the southern boundary of the Mentor Township was lost to Kirtland, which was then newly established in 1818.
- In the year of 1819, the first ever subscription library was inaugurated in the western reserve by the Mentor Library Company.
- In 1823, the Mentor Township first saw the inclusion of the mail and stage coach service.
- The Erie Canal was opened in 1825 which saw the products produced at the Mentor getting an access at the wider market for sell.
In the subsequent years, Mentor Township saw the formation of schools and other amenities such as markets, shopping malls, City hall etc to help it to achieve the mark to become a fully-fledged and well functioned city as now it is today.
More historical facts of the Mentor city:
- Mentor also became the home to James A. Garfield in 1876, who went on to become the twentieth president of the United States of America. His Granddaughter Eleanor B Garfield went on to become the first woman mayor of Mentor in 1952. She also planned the first Mentor Industrial park.
- Great lakes mall was opened back in 1961 to serve as the largest enclosed shopping Centre of the country.
- Cell Phone repair stores in Mentor did not start appearing until July 2007