The brief history of Great Lakes Mall of Mentor City
The Great Lakes Mall of Mentor City is very well known amongst most of the people. This article will take a brief look at the history of the Great Lakes Mall of Mentor City.
A short introduction to the Great Lakes Mall:
The Great Lakes Mall of the city of mentor is located on Mentor Avenue, 20 miles northeast of Cleaveland. This popular mall is owned by WP Glimcher. This mall is the oldest and largest mall that is situated in the Mentor City. It was however announced by the Simon Property Group that the Great Lakes Mall would be transferred to its new spin off called Washington Prime Group. This Washington Prime Group became WP Glimcher.
A brief history of the Great Lakes Mall:
- The Great Lakes Mall had a humble beginning with only three stores; store of butcher, a bakery and a grocer when it was inaugurated in the 1961.
- However quickly more stores were added to this famous Great Lakes Mall which is located in the Mentor city of the State of Ohio.
- After 1961, major expansion works took place at the Great Lakes Mall. Twenty two specialty shops were opened at the Great Lakes Mall, taking about 275,000 sq feet area under the mall.
- This mall went on to employ about 300 employees in the 1960’s.
- In the 1963, after the May Company building was inaugurated, till 1970 major expansion work as mentioned earlier was started at the mall to accommodate more shops such as the Sears and Dillards. Since then the mall went on to expand to an area of 1.3 million sq feet and included about 125 stores and also employed about 2500 employees at the peak times.
- But did you know- the idea of having such a huge shopping mall in nothing but farmland was not pleasing to many of the people during the time the Great Lakes Mall when inaugurated. Although with time, the population of the mentor went on to saw the popularity of mall to be increased with customers who were out of Mentor and over time the mall went on to earn a great reputation which offered the higher end merchandise to the customers out of city and in the region.
- There are also many stores which specifically cater to a certain age groups, so you can find stores that cater to the kids to the aging population and those in between.
- And it is worth noting that this mall has contributed effectively to the economy over the time in the region.
- The current anchor stores of the Great Lake Mall are: Dillard’s (north) and Dillard’s (south), Dick’s sporting group, JC Penny and including Macy’s and sears.
- Great lakes mall also, features the latest high tech phone repair shop Cleveland iPhone Repair INC of Mentor
- There are many stores which are former anchors or simply evolved to a newer name, that were the former anchors for the mall. These former anchor stores are: Higbee’s (Dillard’s south), Horne’s (Dillard’s north), Kaufmann (Macy’s) and the Kaufmann was also formerly known as the May company that was the anchor store in the beginning years of the Great Lakes Mall.
Cleveland iPhone Repair
8600 Tyler Blvd.#1822
Mentor, OH 44061