If you have an ipad mini and you either scratched the ipad mini screen badly or broke it and you are looking to fix the broken screen, then you have come to the right place to look the information. You always don’t need to rush to the service center to get the broken ipad screen fixed; instead you can self repair the ipad screen at home only by using the DIY iPad mini screen repair.
DIY ipad mini screen repair:
- When you decide to repair the broken ipad mini screen yourself, you should be patient and not hurry when trying to replace the broken glass. This is because you should be careful enough while handling the broken glass or otherwise you may cut yourself.
- First of all place your ipad mini on a cleared table space. Then you should position the ipad horizontally facing you. Plug in a heat gun and then use low to medium heat setting for the heat gun. Then let the heat gun to start heating the edges of the ipad very carefully which will melt the thin layer of the glue that holds the glass on the ipad mini. You should be very careful while doing so and you should not overheat the ipad mini, which may damage the cabling inside the ipad mini causing more damage than the broken screen. Also do not use the heat gun to heat the ipad mini continuously, rather pause heating the ipad in between and also feel the ipad to check whether it is being heated properly and not overheating. When the mini starts to feel warmed up, then it is ready for the next step.
- Take a sharp razor steel blade and handle it carefully. Start working on the top of the ipad mini and make sure not to cut the cabling of the camera. You will find that the glass will splinter and start to come off. This is why before doing this procedure, wear a safety glass for the protection of your eyes.
- When you have pried up most of the screen glass off the ipad mini and to pry up the glass you can use a plastic opener tool. This tool acts as a wedge and helps you to pull up the screen glass gently and carefully. You can buy this tool from iFixit for only $3.
- Then take the LCD away from the ipad mini to reach the old glass to remove it. To do this, peel off the broken glass carefully. Then you should start to remove the four screws that are placed in the four corners of the LCD. You will also need to peel up the black tape to get the rest of the screws. This is to be done so that you can take the LCD out.
- Take the LCD away and gently rest it against the cracked screen but do not disconnect it. Remove 16 screws that hold the back plate. You should also know that the right side of the ipad mini is magnetized. Remove the black plate and then again take the 3 screws off the silver plate.
- With a careful and gentle touch, remove the connector that attaches the LCD to the logic board of the ipad mini. When both the glass and the LCD have been removed, remove the glue particles that are left on the ipad mini.
- Then take the new ipad screen glass and attach it in the place of the broken glass and then attach the LCD and then seal the ipad back again by reattaching the small and the large plate and the screws too. Also remove the magnet from the old glass and attach it to the new glass. Then you will need to clean the LCD with either soft cloth or an ammonia free glass cleaner or you can use both. Clamp the corners and for an hour to dry the glue. Then check whether the ipad is functioning properly.